Concussion Management Program
Central Physical Therapy is currently the only comprehensive Certified Concussion Health Provider in Louisiana. CPT offers athletes a whole new level of concussion testing. No longer do parents and coaches have to worry about putting their student-athletes at risk for suffering potentially devastating second impact syndrome. Under the direction of Certified Athletic Trainer Erik Strahan, DPT and Vestibular Specialist Richard O'Quinn, the same Biodex System CPT uses for fall prevention plays a pivotal role in the diagnosis and care of concussions. That's because the same loss of balance that leads to falls is a hallmark sign of concussion.
By comparing an athlete’s pre-injury Biodex test results, AKA baseline test, to post impact results the Biodex offers doctors, trainers and coaches the most comprehensive screening yet for knowing when it’s safe for an athlete to return to play. Biodex concussion testing is based on best practices, objective data and clinical protocols. Central Physical Therapy provides baseline concussion testing, including post concussion treatment and training on high performing athletes from all over the region.
- Click here to read the Consensus Statement on Concussion in Sports.
- Click here for more information on concussion assessment.
- PLAY IT SAFE Concussion Assessment
Click below to download mobile app
To learn more, watch these videos:
Click here to watch a TV News report on why preseason balance testing utilizing new technology like CPT's Biodex machine is so important for all athletes. The report by WAFB Medical Correspondent Elizabeth Vowell features Central Physical Therapy Certified Athletic Trainer Erik Strahan explaining the role of baseline testing in CPT's overall Concussion Management Program.
One of our PTs was on local ESPN Radio today talking about a new device some say will reduce concussions. Click here to listen.
- Prevalence of Invalid Computerized Baseline Neurocognitive Test Results in High School and Collegiate Athletes
- The King–Devick test and sports-related concussion: Study of a rapid visual screening tool in a collegiate cohort
- An overview of concussion in sport
- Concussion in the Pediatric and Adolescent Population: "Different Population, Different Concerns
- A Retrospective Clinical Analysis of Moderate to Severe Athletic Concussions
- Concussion in Athletes: Information for Team Physicians on the Neurologic Evaluation
- Concussion in the Pediatric Patient
- Helmets and Mouth Guards: The Role of Personal Equipment in Preventing Sport-Related Concussions
- Considerations for Return-to-Play and Retirement Decisions After Concussion
- Youth Sports Concussion
- Exceptional Neurologic Recovery in a Teenage Football Player After Second Impact Syndrome With a Thin Subdural Hematoma
- Neuropsychological Assessment of Sport-Related Concussion
- Concussions: What a neurosurgeon should know about current scientific evidence and management strategies
- Impact test comparisons of 20th and 21st century American football helmets
- Sports-Related Concussion: A Call for Evidence and Perspective Amidst the Alarms
- Return-to-Play Decisions
- Sport-related Concussion in Adolescents